1. Certified Translation of a Single Status Certificate
As a sworn translator for the language combinations Spanish-German and English-German, appointed by the Regional Court of Berlin, I carry out certified translations of certificates of capacity to contract marriage (Ehefähigkeitszeugnis) and single status certificates (Ledigkeitsbescheinigung) (Spanish-German, German-Spanish or English-German, German-English).
Were you born abroad and wish to marry in a German registry office? Then you will be asked to prove that no legal impediments exist in your country of origin. If you have never married before, this includes proof that your civil status is single. This proof consists in the certificate of capacity to contract marriage, equivalent to the Ehefähigkeitszeugnis in accordance with Art. 1309 passage 1 of the German Civil Code. This certificate is issued in only few countries and can have different names, e.g. Certificate of No Impediment (Kenya, New Zealand, Tanzania, UK) or Certificate of Freedom to Marry (Ireland).
Due to the fact that many countries do not issue such certificates or the certificates do not meet German requirements, in many cases an application has to be filed at the registry office for the exemption from submitting the certificate of capacity to contract marriage, in accordance with Art. 1309 passage 2 of the German Civil Code. The Higher Regional Court in charge (Kammergericht in Berlin) will then examine the case in a proceeding.
If, in your country of origin, a certificate of capacity to contract marriage does not exist, you will require a single status certificate (Ledigkeitsbescheinigung) instead. In Germany, you will often be asked to obtain an affidavit (eidesstattliche Versicherung), made by your relatives or other witnesses, which is certified by a notary public, or a certificate of your marital status (Familienstandsbescheinigung), issued by the registry office in your country of origin, in order to prove you are single. If you are a German citizen and wish to marry abroad, the extended registration certificate (erweiterte Meldebescheinigung) which contains information on your marital status, may be sufficient, if you are not explicitely required the Ehefähigkeitszeugnis.
Certified Translation of Single Status Certificates
English-German / German-English
In countries or regions with English as an official language you will obtain, for instance, the following documents:
- Affidavit (e.g. Australia, Ghana, India)
- Certificate Concerning Capacity and No Objection to Marry (Pakistan)
- Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage – LCCM (Philippines)
- Confirmation of Marital Status (South Africa)
- Letter of No Impediment (South Africa)
- Marriageability Certificate / Statement of Marriageability (India)
- „No Record“ Result (Australia)
- Notarized Acknowledgment (Hong Kong)
- Single Status Affidavit (e.g. United States)
- Single Status Certificate (e.g. Australia, Nigeria)
- Statutory Declaration confirming the Bachelor Status (e.g. Ghana)
- Statutory Declaration of Single Status (Canada, United States)
Another single status certificate issued in English is the Extract of the Population Register issued in Sweden.
2. Certified Translation of a Marriage Certificate / Civil Partnership Certificate
As a sworn translator for the language combinations Spanish-German and English-German, appointed by the Regional Court of Berlin, I carry out certified translations of marriage certificates (Eheurkunde) and civil partnership certificates (Lebenspartnerschaftsurkunde): Spanish-German, German-Spanish or English-German, German-English.
The certified translation into German of a marriage certificate (or civil partnership certificate), or a certified or attested copy from the register of marriages (beglaubigte Abschrift aus dem Eheregister) is proof of marriage (or civil partnership) entered into abroad or at a foreign consulate in Germany. This proof is needed, for example, if you wish your foreign marriage to be recorded in the German registry of marriages (Nachbeurkundung) at the Standesamt.
Should you wish to enter into a new marriage after being divorced, you will be required to present your decree absolute / divorce judgment and the marriage certificate (with a statement of dissolution of marriage) of your former marriage. Your marriage certificate may also be relevant in matters related to tax, inheritance, insurance, pension or registering a birth.
Marriage certificates and certified or attested copies from the register of marriages are issued by the competent authority of the location where the marriage was celebrated. Depending on the country and the case, this might be a registry office, a court, a notary public, a consulate or another authority.
Certified Translation of Marriage Certificates
English-German / German-English
In English-speaking countries and regions, the documents required by German authorities (Eheurkunde or beglaubigte Abschrift aus dem Geburtenregister) may be the following:
Marriage Certificate (Eheurkunde)
- Certificate of Marriage (e.g. Gambia, Hong Kong, India, Canada, United States)
- Certificate of Marriage Registration (e.g. United States)
- Certified Copy of an Entry of Marriage (e.g. United Kingdom)
- Copy of Record of Marriage (United States)
- Duplicate of Marriage Register (Trinidad and Tobago)
- Extract of an Entry in a Register of Marriages (e.g. United Kingdom)
- Marriage Certificate (e.g. Australia, Bangladesh, Ireland, New Zealand, United States)
- Register of Marriage (e.g. Sri Lanka)
- Unabridged Marriage Certificate (South Africa)
Marriage certificates in English are also issued in Mauritius, Zanzibar and Seychelles.
Civil Partnership Certificate (Lebenspartnerschaftsurkunde)
- Affidavit of Domestic Partnership (e.g. United States)
- Certificate of Civil Union (e.g. United States)
- Certificate of Registered Domestic Partnership (e.g. United States)
- Civil Partnership Certificate (e.g. Australia, United Kingdom, South Africa)
- Civil Union Certificate (e.g. Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United States)
- Common-law Relationship Certificate (z.B. Kanada)
- Copy of an Act of Civil Union (e.g. Canada)
- Domestic Partnership Certificate (e.g. Canada)
- Registered Relationship Certificate (e.g. Australia)
- Relationship Certificate (e.g. Australia)
3. Certified Translation of a Decree Absolute / Divorce Judgment
As a sworn translator for the language combinations Spanish-German and English-German, appointed by the Regional Court of Berlin, I carry out certified translations of decrees absolute or divorce judgments (Scheidungsurteil): Spanish-German, German-Spanish or English-German, German-English.
The certified translation into German of a decree absolute / divorce judgement with a statement that it has become final is proof that your former marriage has ceased to exist. You will find more information on the subject of divorce here.
Apostilles for Single Status, Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificates
Please note: For the international recognition of a single status certificate / certificate of capacity to contract marriage, a marriage certificate, or a decree absolute / divorce judgment and its certified translation, you might require in addition an apostille (Apostille); or the authentication (Vorbeglaubigung) and, afterwards, the consular legalisation. In Berlin, the apostilles for my translations are issued by the Regional Court of Berlin and those for marriage certificates or extended registration certificates provided by Berlin authorities are issued by LABO. Please ask the respective authority in the country where you are required to submit your certified translation beforehand as to whether you need to provide the apostille or not. I would be pleased to obtain the latter on your behalf for my translations carried out in Berlin.
Ask for a free quote for the certified translation of your single status certificate / certificate of capacity to contract marriage or your marriage certificate or your decree absolute / divorce judgment via email or by completing the contact form. Please send me your scanned document and I will reply to you as soon as possible.