Sebastian Henning
Sworn Translator in Berlin (Spanish-German / English-German)

Certified Translation of Documents for your University

As a sworn translator for the language combinations Spanish-German and English-German, appointed by the Regional Court of Berlin, I carry out certified translations of school and university transcripts, certificates, diplomas, degrees and other documents related to the area of education: Spanish-German, German-Spanish or English-German, German-English.

  1. University Applicants from Abroad
  2. Graduates from German Schools and Universities

1. University Applicants from Abroad

University applicants from abroad are required to hand in many certified translations of their documents for German universities. Applications are to be submitted either directly to the corresponding German university or centrally at the Working Service Point for International Student Applications (uni-assist) einzureichen.

Berlin as an important place for science has more than 40 public and private universities. These include also the universities of excellence Humboldt University of Berlin (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin), Free University of Berlin (Freie Universität Berlin) and Technical University of Berlin (Technische Universität Berlin). For your application, you will be required to submit firstly the officially certified or attested copies (amtlich beglaubigte Kopie) of your complete certificates (diploma certificate, overview of subjects and grades / transcript, diploma supplement), secondly the certified translation (beglaubigte Übersetzung or “vereidigte Übersetzung”). You can find more information, for instance, on the websites of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) or on the German government’s web portal for qualified professionals from abroad.

Applicants without Academic Degrees

University applicants coming from non-EU countries which have not completed an undergraduate degree programme at a recognised university are required in many cases to attend the Studienkolleg and afterwards to take the university qualification exam (Feststellungsprüfung), as school degrees of many countries that entitle you to go to university are not accepted as a university entrance qualification in Germany (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung / HZB).

Certified Translation of School Degrees and Transcripts

I translate from English to German, for instance, the following school degrees and transcripts (Schulabschluss, Zeugnis):

  • General Certificate of Education des West African Examinations Council (Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Gambia)
  • GCE – Advanced Level bzw. A-Level (United Kingdom)
  • GCSE – General Certificate of Secondary Education (e.g. United Kingdom, Jordan)
  • High School Diploma (e.g. United States)
  • Provincial Report Card (Canada)
  • Secondary School Diploma (e.g. Canada)

Applicants holding an Academic Degree

If you have been awarded a university degree you will need the certified translation of the respective degree certificates and transcripts as proof in Germany. For information on the equivalence of the degree or the university of a course of studies completed abroad you might wish to visit the anabin data base provided by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).

The certified translation of your foreign degree certificates and transcripts allows you to apply for undergraduate studies (e.g. Bachelor-Studium, Diplom-Studium) or graduate and postgraduate studies (e.g. Master-Studium, Doktoranden-Studium) in Germany. A lot of helpful information can be found at Hochschulkompass, a web portal of the German Rectors’ Conference.

Certified Translation of University Degree Certificates and Transcripts

I offer certified translations of the following university degree certificates and transcripts from English to German:

  • Certificate of Higher Professional Education (Netherlands)
  • College Record (United States)
  • Course-By-Course Evaluation Report – ECE (United States)
  • Degree of Bachelor (e.g. United Kingdom, India, Ireland, Israel, New Zealand, Netherlands, United States)
  • Degree of Doctor of Philosophy – PhD (e.g. United Kingdom, United States)
  • Degree of Master (z.B. United Kingdom, India, Ireland, Israel, New Zealand, Netherlands, United States)
  • Diploma Supplement (Countries of the European Higher Education Area)
  • Graduate Certificate (e.g. Ireland)
  • Graduate Diploma (e.g. Australia, New Zealand)
  • Master’s External Record (Canada)
  • Official Transcript (e.g. Jordan, United States)
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education – PGCE (United Kingdom)
  • Student Full Transcript (e.g. Ireland)
  • Transcript / Transcript of Results (United Kingdom)
  • Transcript of Student Record (Canada)

2. Graduates from German Schools and Universities

Many graduates from German schools or universities decide, after completing their studies, to work or study abroad. Information can be found on the website of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). I offer certified translations for the directions German-English and German-Spanish, for instance, for diplomas and transcripts or exam certificates for the following degrees:


  • Fachhochschulreife
  • Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur)
  • Zeugnis über den Mittleren Schulabschluss (MSA)


  • Bachelor
  • Diplom
  • Doktor-Grad
  • Magister
  • Master

Besides academic certificates, I translate also further documents related to your studies, e.g. about health insurance, income, registration, visa or scholarships.

Apostilles for Degree Certificates and Transcripts

Please note: For the international recognition of your leaving certificates, diplomas, degrees or transcripts and their certified translation, you might require in addition an apostille (Apostille); or the authentication (Vorbeglaubigung) and, afterwards, the consular legalisation. In Berlin, the apostilles for my translations are issued by the Regional Court of Berlin and those for public schools and universities by LABO. Please ask the respective authority in the country where you are required to submit your certified translation beforehand as to whether you need to provide the apostille or not. I would be pleased to obtain the latter on your behalf for my translations carried out in Berlin.

Ask for a free quote for the certified translation of your leaving certificates, diplomas, degrees or transcripts (school or university certificates) via email or by completing the contact form. Please send me your scanned document and I will reply to you as soon as possible.